Go Green with supercritical carbon dioxide
A green solvent is one that has low toxicity, easy recyclability, easy removal from the product and low reactivity.
Supercritical carbon dioxide one of the promising green solvents are used now-a-days, it is used for procurement of the nature and help to diminish the influence of global warming.
Know about supercritical fluid ?
A supercritical fluid is any substance at a temperature and pressure above its critical point, where distinct liquid and gas phases do not exist.
Supercritical fluid are suitable as a substitute for organic solvents in a range of industrial and laboratory processes.Carbon dioxide usually behaves as a gas in air at standard temperature and pressure (STP), or as a solid called dry ice when frozen. If the temperature and pressure are both increased from STP to be at or above the critical point for carbon dioxide, it can adopt properties midway between a gas and a liquid. More specifically, it behaves as a supercritical fluid above its critical temperature (304.25 K, 31.10 °C, 87.98 °F) and critical pressure (72.9 atm, 7.39 MPa, 1,071 psi), expanding to fill its container like a gas but with a density like that of a liquid.
Advantages of supercritical carbon dioxide
- Natural, cheap, plentiful.
- Available in >99.9 pure form, £70/$110 per 25 kg.
- By-product of brewing, ammonia synthesis, combustion.
- Easily removed and recycled,and can be disposed of with no net increase in global carbon dioxide.
- Small amounts of co solvents can further modify solvent properties
- Decaffeination of coffee beans
- Hop extraction in brewing
- Treatment of toxic waste
- Coating on aerospace parts
- Chocolate biscuits
- Amongst the biggest temperature controlled buildings in the UK.
"Go Green before green goes"