A Medical Sales Representative is a key link between medical and pharmaceutical companies and healthcare professionals. They sell their company’s products like medicines, prescription drugs and medical equipment to a variety of customers such as primary care trusts, hospitals and pharmacies.
The pharmaceutical industries are growing in much larger extent. The success of pharmaceutical industries is mainly depends on the Medical Sales Representative. So career as Medical Sales Representative is a better choice.
MSR is responsible for selling company’s products to customers and build the company’s image in the market. MSR is responsible for contacting potential customers, identifying their needs, convincing them that the products of his company can best satisfy their needs. He is also involved in providing an after sales service.
MSR should have various qualities like writing, reading, listening, speaking skills, critical thinking and decision making to perform his job in proper manner as well as he should have proper knowledge about the field like
· Human anatomy and physiology
· Drug transport
· Disease management
· Therapeutic drugs
· Drug formularies
· Pharmaco – vigilance
· Product knowledge
· Pharmaceutical marketing
· Various government policies related to healthcare
· Various global authorities like WHO, FDA, WTO, ICH etc.
· Healthcare distribution
· MCI Code of conduct (INDIA)
· Methods of gathering information
· Pre selling activities and after sales service
· Use of IT for various operational activities
· Patient and physician requirements
The key roles and responsibilities of an MSR
· Arranging appointments with doctors, pharmacists and hospital medical teams
· Cold calling
· Making presentations & demonstrations to doctors, practice staff and nurses.
· Identifying & establishing new business, negotiating contracts
· Providing all customers with excellent after sales service
· organizing medical conferences
· Monitoring competitor activity and competitor’s products
· Keeping up to date with the latest clinical data supplied by the company, and interpreting, presenting and discussing this data with health professionals during presentations.
So Medical sales representative is a main person that helps to grow medical and pharmaceutical industries and play a major role in healthcare system as well as in humanity.